About the Linux & Unix category

Post relevant Linux or Unix questions here - from how to get things done in Linux or Unix to fixing any Linux or Unix problem.

Hello, I’m unable to boot to windows on my HP laptop. Is there a way to install Linux in order to troubleshoot windows? Thank you.

Hello @Mlee,

You do not need to install Linux (dual-boot with Windows 10) to fix your Windows 10 boot problem.

If you give me more details about the error message when you try to boot Windows 10, I can give you some potential solutions. Alternatively, you could tell me what happens when you try to boot your Windows 10 computer.

*I am assuming that you have Windows 10 (not Windows 11) on your HP laptop?

Hello VictorAs,
Thank you so much your assistance. I had installed Windows 11 but sadly I messed it up. I then replaced it with Windows 10. I am receiving a message referring to Hard Disk - (3FO) Boot Device not found. Once again thank you so much!

Hello @Mlee,

Thank you for providing additional details about your issue with your Windows 10/11 PC.

Based on the error message “Boot Device not found”, the Windows boot sector has been corrupt.

So, the solution is to either reinstall Windows 10 or Windows 11. However, since we have steps to install Windows 10 on Itechguides.com, I will provide information on how you can use the steps.

Note that you need a USB stick to complete the task described below.

So, to reinstall your Windows 10 PC, follow the steps below:

1. Create a Windows USB installation drive. To complete this task, follow the steps in this guide - Create Windows 10 Installation Media (USB) | Itechguides.com

2. Once you have created the Windows 10 USB installation drive, follow the steps in the link below to reinstall Windows 10 using the Windows 10 USB installation drive you created in step 1 above - How To Install Windows 10 From USB (With Images)

3. Finally, after installing Windows 10, if you want to upgrade to Windows 11, follow the steps in this guide - How To Install Windows 11 Manually For Free (Upgrade Windows 10) (itechguides.com)

If you face any difficulty at any stage of this process, please reply to this topic and ensure you quote my community name, VictorAs.

The only place I see you having trouble may be changing the boot order (part of step 1), If you face any problem with this, send me the full model name of your HP laptop and I will provide you the step by step on how to change the boot order of your HP PC model.